About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Quick update

I'm finding it hard to carve out a time to blog now that my mother in law is gone. When she was here, I would do it in the morning while she was taking care of Jean-Marc. Today was particularly hard since it is Isabelle's birthday. Mom and I took her to see the Ramona and Beezus movie this afternoon while Jean-Marc is napping. Maybe his nap time will be a good blog time for me as well.

We went to the gym this morning and once again it had the pain relieving effect. So much so that this afternoon rather than taking a pain pill, I just took some Advil. So far today, I've only had 2 pills. Bedtime will make 3. Not bad. I do want to get off of them completely if possible before chemo on the 20th.

On the way to the movie, we stopped off at Kaiser so I could pick up my chemo medications. Not the actual chemo, but the meds that are supposed to help me handle the chemo. All I have to do now before chemo is get a blood draw on the day before.

The pain I've had is mostly that sunburn feeling. Even a hard shower hurts my upper chest above the incisions and my left arm. I think I read somewhere that is caused by nerve damage. I think it will fade with time, but I think there will just be some degree of it to live with. I had some strange pains about a half an hour ago along the incision area. If I didn't know better, it almost felt like pain in my left nipple. Except I don't have one of those anymore. Strange.

Today was better with regard to the potty thing. I told Eric that I just did not have it in me to deal with that right now. It's easier for me to change cloth diapers than deal with training. So he is trying. He got 2 pees in the potty. If he wants to tackle it, then he's welcome to try it. I won't stand in the way, but I'm not going to get emotionally invested like I did yesterday. Jean-Marc and I had some sweet moments today, so I'm feeling better about all that. It also helped for me to look at the calendar and realize that I'm pre-menstrual. Maybe for one of the last times in my life.

I'm doing my arm and chest stretches 2 times a day now. My right arm has about 95% of its range of motion back. The left is probably around 70%. As I stretch, it gets a little looser. Better and better each day.

Continued prayers for healing are much appreciated!

1 comment: