About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Waiting...

I am about 30 hours post-chemo round now. I still feel pretty good. This may be because I am still taking the steroid, which gives me energy, as well as helping any allergic reactions to the chemo drugs. My last dose of that for this round is tonight. The nurse said it would be likely for my energy to go down afterwards. I've also kept on the anti-nausea drugs, which have been working. I'm not sure I need them, but I'd rather not be queasy. So I'm following her advice for the next day or so.

Sleep came last night, despite the fact I had to get up at least 3 times for the bathroom. The Ativan did its job, I guess. I'm planning on taking it again tonight since I'll still be on the steroid. After that, I may try a night without it.

I was told going into this that I would need to drink a lot of water. I've always been a water drinker, but I'm amazed at how much I can drink! I have a thirst that just is not quenched. I've had at least 80 ounces today, and could easily down 20 more right now. I'm also being pro-active about moisturizing my skin. Not only my surgical areas, but my hands and feet at night. I wear 24/7 contact lenses, but I'm taking them out at night so my eyes don't dry out too much. Sun is also now something I need to be more wary of, so I'm making sure to wear sunscreen and I have a couple long sleeved shirts I can wear as a light protective layer.

I went to the baby shower today and felt good enough to drive myself over to Escondido. It was really nice to be around such nice ladies, especially friends from church. It is so wonderful to be able to fellowship and share with each other how God has worked in our lives in the past. It gives such encouragement for trials in the present to remember how faithful He is, how He does not change, and how He loves us so.

I got home around 4 p.m. and was tired. It don't know if it was chemo related, but I laid down and took a light nap. It felt so good! Eric took the boys to the park and for some ice cream so I could have some quiet. Isabelle is spending the weekend at a friend's house.

That is pretty much my update for today. I really, really want to get to church tomorrow morning. Even if I'm tired, church is one of those things I just hate to miss. I love the worship, the teaching, and the fellowship.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. For caring about what is going on with my family and I. We are blessed.

Also, if you aren't yet an official "follower" of my blog, would you mind becoming one? All you have to do is click the "follow" button on the right hand side. You won't get any spam or e-mail about it, I promise. It will just help my blog raise in the Google rankings a bit s more people can find it. I appreciate your help!

May God bless you this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Tonya. I have always known you to be a woman with an enormous heart for the Lord. May your recovery journey be blessed with His presence - you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Much love, Coleen

    ReplyDelete