About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Things to look forward to

Some things I want to do after my family and I beat breast cancer:
  • Take the family on a real exotic vacation. Something tropical with a beach. It could be the Bahamas. Maybe the Atlantis resort? Or Beaches? Is Club Med around anymore? That would be fun to take the kids to a family resort. Eric and I met at a Club Med in 1994 and honeymooned at one in 1996. It would be kind of fun to go back. The kids have been wanting a "real" vacation for a long time. Eric and I have always put them off. After we all get through this, we're there. We've already decided.
  • Participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Right now, I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm not sure how far of a course it is. I could do a 5k easily now. With some training, a 10k. Even if this is a marathon, I want to do it. Being in decent shape now, I was envisioning running in some local races. If I do it with Komen, it has meaning and significance. It may take awhile to get back into shape, but it is a goal. Getting out of shape is one of the things I am dreading the most. It has taken so much work to get where I am now.
  • Maybe along with, or in place of the above, the 3 Day Walk. 60 miles is a bit intimidating. But it would be amazing. My mom has walked thousands of miles in the past few years-it would be fun to do it together.
  • Taking my mom, dad and as many siblings as can make it to France. We have talked about how fun it would be to visit the Battle of Normandy sites with my brother, Jared. Jared is a West Point graduate (Class of 2005), a Captain in the Army, currently serving with the 3rd Infantry Division in Mosul, Iraq. I've been to Normandy before and it is amazing. I would love to share that with my parents and siblings.
That's all I can think of right now. I reserve the right to add to this list of things to look forward to.

Lots of love,
Tonya

2 comments:

  1. And I know you...YOU will do it all and more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, it is amazing how these emotional events in our lives have a way to change our outlook on our goals and life in general! That is one positive thing about the journey, right?

    ReplyDelete