About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Packing it on?

I've put on 5 pounds since my diagnosis. Ugh.

Fridays have always been my "weigh in" day. I almost didn't even step on the scale today, kind of knowing the direction it was headed. Today was a good 5 pounds more than I was a month ago. Not good. Now it is that time of the month for me, so that may account for a pound or two. But I don't want to re-gain weight because of this disease. I'm going to need to be more disciplined about things.

I'll admit, my "carpe diem" attitude has followed through to the table a little bit. I've been good with the meals, pretty much cooking as I did before, avoiding processed foods and eating organics. Trying to bulk up on veggies and fiber and less on animal proteins. However, being French, Eric considers dessert an essential part of every meal, including lunch. So there are always sweets in the house. I've been following him right along. I've also been allowing myself wine every evening. Might as well enjoy it while I can, I figured. But the scale has busted me!

I'm going to enjoy food & wine through the weekend. Its not like I'm falling down drunk. I'm just having it with dinner and dessert. Come Monday, I'll stop the wine. With surgery on Thursday, I need 48-72 hours without any alcohol. That alone will stop any weight gain. With the painkillers post-op, I probably won't be able to have a drink for a long time. I'll weigh myself again on Thursday morning so I can give the anesthesiologist an accurate number. I'll enjoy food until Wednesday night at midnight, though!

The other component of weight maintenance for me has been working out like a maniac. I've missed a couple workouts over the past few weeks because of appointments. I'll miss a cardio day tomorrow because I'll be at Glen Ivy. When I was in weight loss mode, I would do some "extra credit" cardio a couple times a week just for the calorie burn. I haven't really had the time for that with the kids out of school.

I have 2 more days of Jillian level 3 circuits: Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is supposed to be my day off, but I'll just make up the cardio on that day. That will be my last day of exercise before surgery. The exercise for me now is less about weight and more about being strong. Especially upper body strength. I'm not going to be able to do upper body exercises as I've been doing now for some time. It'll be goodbye to push ups, military presses and plank exercises. Sigh. I wonder how long it will take me to be able to even lift my arms above my head?

I'm hoping to be able to get up and get moving as soon as I can after surgery, just for recovery purposes. The sooner I'm able to move and get the blood flowing, the faster recovery will be. They will give me some exercises for my arms to do once the drains are out. Right now, I wouldn't even call them "exercises" but I suspect it will take a lot of effort to do these stretches.

I almost didn't write this post. But I want to remember the state I was in every step of the way. In writing it, I guess I have to publicly admit some slipping in the diet department. Oh well.








No comments:

Post a Comment