About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One more thought...

I slept well last night. But woke up again at 4:40 a.m. On the bright side, for a split second, the first thought that popped into my mind was "Catalina" and not "Cancer."

I laid in bed for about an hour before getting up, trying to pray. It's hard for me to pray in my head. My mind wanders. Its much more effective for me to articulate the words with my mouth. I'm so thankful that the Holy Spirit is there to articulate what I cannot. As I lay there pondering things, I thought about my freak out time yesterday morning. I realized it for what it was: a panic attack. My heart rate was up, my breathing rapid and more shallow. I felt trapped by the cancer.

I guess it helps to be able to recognize it for what it was. It helped last night as I drifted off to sleep to imagine the tumor getting smaller. Someone suggested the idea of tiny pick-axes chipping away at it. I like that!

"Praise the Lord, O my soul, all m inmost being, praise His holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-
Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.
Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."
Psalm 103:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment