About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Gym time!

I finally made it to the gym today.  Wouldn't you know it, I was tired all morning. I wasn't sure how it was going to work.  My fatigue had nothing to do with sleep-I actually had slept well for the past 2 nights.  Strange.  So I brewed some green tea and iced it as my lunch beverage.  Maybe it was the tea, maybe it was just the energy at the gym, but I definitely kicked the tired feeling for the rest of the day.

It had been quite awhile since I tried to run, so I wanted to give it a try. I did an hour and change on the treadmill, doing 2 minute intervals.  My walking speed was a 15 minute mile on a slight incline, and my running speed was about 11.5 minute mile flat. Yeah, to you runners this is probably lame.  But it was pretty good for me. Besides, I'm short!  It felt good to do it.  I wasn't sure I could do it during the first 10 minutes.  I hit a physical "wall" and need to push a bit to get over it.  And I did.  It felt great to run a bit and sweat a lot, especially after taking it easy for the first half of the week.  I did over 4.5 miles in that time. I'll do my Jillian DVD again tomorrow and will feel like I'm back in the game.

When I'm exercising at the gym, I wear a T-shirt on my head.  Seriously.  I learned this trick at the "Look Good, Feel Better" program.  You cut a T-shirt off below the arms.  Then you can wrap the bottom part around your head like a turban.  It's cheap, and it is easily washable. I bought some cheap shirts at Michaels for $1.99, so I have them in multiple colors.

The potty training is going pretty well.  I just keep Jean-Marc naked from the waist down at home and make sure the potty is nearby.  He is able to get there in time when he needs to, and he even did #2 again tonight!  Slow and steady, we'll keep at it.

I had a scary thing happen this morning in the Target parking lot.  I was a bit stressed because Jean-Marc was out and about in regular underwear, no pull up or diaper.  We had done our shopping and I needed to get him home to sit on the pot.  I looked both ways backing out several times, but felt a bump as I moved out.  I thought maybe I hit a cart.  I looked in my mirror and saw a Target employee waving her arms and yelling.  Oh no!  I was so afraid I hit someone.  This girl was being dropped off at work by her boyfriend, and he was in a large SUV.  I got out, and I had totally backed right into him.  Geez.  I've never done that before.  I pulled back into my spot, got out with my insurance information and went to face the music.  I was wearing my wig, so I couldn't even get the pity factor in there. Thank the Lord, he was very cool about the whole thing.  He didn't see any damage to his car, and didn't even want my information.  I was glad the girlfriend had gone into the store-she was a bit more agitated.  My car suffered a dent in the back, but it could have been so much worse.  Thank you God, for protecting me against myself!

I got my lab appointment stuff worked out with Kaiser.  Still no word on the insurance/deductible mess. That one is completely on them.


This weekend should be fun.  We are celebrating my dad's birthday tomorrow at my parents' house.  I'm bringing some yummy dishes to get my bean and cabbage fix.  Dad will rotissere 2 organic chickens and barbeque some tri tip.  Mom even made an organic rhubarb pie!  Oh, and homemade strawberry ice cream. My brother and his family will be coming up, the kids will have fun playing with their cousins.  Mom and dad have some boxes down from the attic of "stuff" they have stored over the years that they want us to go through to take or toss.  It should be fun to walk down memory lane.  

Thank you for your prayers and support.  They mean a lot, and I know they are working.  There is no other reason to explain me running/walking like that for an hour in the midst of chemo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment