About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Administrative mess

The plot with Kaiser thickens!  I got yet another "Summary of Accumulation" statement for the month of September from Kaiser.  This one seemed to have my year to date totals correct, but I didn't notice that until I had picked up the phone to call their member services number.  When the representative went into my records she mentioned that there was definitely a problem.  As it turns out, they had to re-code things on their end because of the Health Care Reform Act, which ended up enrolling me into a "new" plan.  Even though things are all the same for me and my deductible accumulations are supposed to carry over to the "new" plan.  Its just that latter part that hasn't happened yet, and she acknowledged that it was all their problem.  It can take up to 30 days to fix it.  When I go in for my various appointments this week, they are going to ask me for my cost share as if I had not met my deductible.  I have a high deductible plan, so those cost shares are pretty high.  She suggested I take in the statement that I received today to prove I had met my deductible and
ask them to bill me.  By then, the mess should be sorted out.  If I receive a bill this month, I'm supposed to call them back, because they will be billing me at the higher rate as if I had not met the deductible.  

It is a confusing mess, but at least they care about what I think about their services.  I got a survey call about 5 minutes after I hung up asking me about the various elements of the call and the employee I talked to.  I've also been surveyed for various visits to Kaiser doctors and my hospital stay.  It's nice to think they care.  I've never had another doctor or hospital ask me what I thought of their service or how they could improve.  

It is HOT in San Diego this week. Thank God for air conditioning. There was no way I was going to walk with my girlfriends in this heat.  I went to the gym instead.  It was a bit of a gamble, since the last time I was there and put Jean-Marc in the Kids' Club, he cried until I got called back.  This time, he did fine.  I was able to get a much more intense workout in (30 minutes on the Stairmaster, 35 on the treadmill running sprints).  It was great!  The only downside was that Jean-Marc had an accident while in there.  No big deal, I had him in a Pull Up.  He did stay dry when we went grocery shopping. 

Olivier is on the verge of being sick.  He didn't sleep well last night.  When I picked him up from school, he was achy and had trouble concentrating all day.  I made him a coconut mango smoothie with orange juice in it and told him he wasn't going to make karate today.  I hope that a day of just doing his homework, lying low and drinking lots of fluids will help him kick this.  

My prayer requests:
  • That Olivier not get sick. That the rest of us resist whatever germ he has brought into our midst.
  • That timing will work out with Isabelle this week.  She is running for student council secretary this year and has to make a speech to the school this week.  I found out today that the speeches and election is going to be on Thursday, not Wednesday as we had thought.  I hate to miss her speech, but I have a busy day of medical appointments on Thursday.  I'm so proud of her for going for it again. She's running against 2 other boys. She was secretary last year, but ran unopposed.  It's a bigger deal this year, I really want to be there for her. 
  • That my blood work show that I am ready for round three on Friday.  That whatever chemo drugs are still in my system continue to do their job. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tonya...those insurance issues can be so time consuming. I'm so glad they agree it's their mistake. Kaiser has been really good for several people I know. Praying you stay free of any of the bad bugs and the chemo and juicing and good eats do their job too. I'm glad you were wise not to walk today...whew...it was hot!

    ReplyDelete