About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Welcome November

I'll be glad tomorrow when it's November.

The end of "my" first Pinktober. I'm ready for all of it to be gone.  Don't get me wrong.  It's good for people to be aware of self exams, lifestyle factors that can contribute to breast cancer, early detection, and all of that.  But I am tired of all the pink everything.  There is something a bit crass about companies that have products that contain chemicals that can actually cause cancer slapping their product in a pink package to "raise awareness."  The biggest thing I can say to ALL WOMEN, REGARDLESS OF AGE AND FAMILY HISTORY...get checked out.  Insist on a mammogram, even if you are under 40.  My tumor was 3.5 centimeters large by the time I was 40.  Breast cancer KILLS YOUNGER WOMEN because they are not screened and it is found at more advanced stages.  That is my big message as Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2010 comes to a close.

Halloween will be over then too.  Like I mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan.  It, too, has gotten out of hand. It's gone beyond homemade costumes for the kids to one of the biggest money making "holidays" of the year. Plus, I'm not too keen on the celebration of the occult either.  But it is fun to let the kids dress up and have fun.

With November, it will all be about fall.  Thanksgiving, and the holidays.  I'm looking forward to the holidays--December 3rd is my last scheduled chemo date.  I look forward to a Christmas with that behind me.  What a difference a year makes!!  A year ago, we were anticipating moving into our new house.  This year, I'm anticipating radiation and what my hair might look like when it starts growing back in the spring.

In any event, I am in a good mood.  It was a good day.  I was able to go back to church after 2 weeks' absence.  I missed it!  I was able to finish a fantastic book on my new Kindle, and my family and I are going to see some friends at a party in an hour or so.  We are blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Tonya, lovely sentiments. Thank you.
    For us, November becomes Movember, a moustache growing charity event to raise money for men's health, in particular prostate health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all glad to see Pink October come to an end. I agree women must continue to get those mammograms. I am certainly looking forward to the holidays differently this year, too, since my diagnosis last spring. Glad you got good news from your gynocologist. It's always good to have one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete