About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

One more day!

Isabelle & I yesterday living life to its fullest! Singing songs with the girl scouts in the rain!

One more day until my first "cancer walk."  I'm going to do a 5k with the American Cancer Society (ACS) in their "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" event in San Diego.  Yeah, 5k isn't a huge deal.  Heck, I could probably run most of it if I wanted to.  But the event is to raise awareness as well as funds for the disease and to help an organization that has already helped me out a great deal.

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me a registration form for the ACS.  They sent me an organizational tool for all of my records.  It was a expandable pocket with different tabs under subject headings (lab reports, insurance information, etc).  Those who know me know I am at a loss if my papers aren't organized, so this was a great tool for me.  I merged it into a system that I had started on my own and its great.  I can find pretty much any piece of paper related to my situation in seconds.

ACS provided me with a free wig and one of my favorite hats.

ACS sent me to a program called "Look Good, Feel Better."   I have an entire post dedicated to it from June. But in short, it was a seminar where they gave us a big bag of free name-brand cosmetics and lotions. We went through a little makeup session where they taught us things like how to draw on your eyebrows after they are gone.  They also gave us tips on what to cover our bald heads with.  I'm using these tips daily.

ACS sent me several small pillows that I used after my surgery to cushion my chest while sleeping and driving.

ACS also has paired me with a "mentor" who is a breast cancer survivor.  She gave me tips before my surgery and chemo.  It is helpful to talk to someone who has walked this road before. I'll be talking to another mentor as I get ready for radiation treatment.

There are lots of other services ACS offers that they would give me if I asked.  If I needed transportation to my treatments, they could arrange it.  There are numerous classes and support groups that they host as well.

ACS uses a large portion of its funding for breast cancer. I'm grateful for the progress that has been made in treating this disease in the past decade.  Of course, there are other great organizations that fund research and treatment for breast cancer.  The Komen foundation comes to mind.  (I'm planning on doing the 3 day next year).  But for now, I'm happy to do this 5k tomorrow to give back to an organization that already has given me a great deal.

If you have a little bit of extra cash, even $5, I would be very grateful if you would click on this link to donate to a very worthy cause.

Blessings to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment