About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Carpe Diem

One thing this disease has taught me is that one should do what one can while it is possible. When Olivier was a newborn, I came up with the motto: "Do what you can do when you can do it." 11 years ago, that meant if the baby was napping and I wanted a shower, I needed to do it NOW. Who knows what the status would be in 15 minutes?

Right now, I feel fantastic physically. It is hard to believe that I have cancer, actually. So I've decided that while I feel good, I want to spend some fun time with the kids. I know once treatment starts (whether it is surgery or chemo first), I'm going to be tired, sore and maybe worse. So I want to cram in as much summer fun as I can while I am able.

I don't want this to sound morbid. I have no intention of not winning this battle. I'm going to be fine. It's just going to be a difficult 6-12 months ahead. And it's not like I'm trying to fulfill my bucket list or anything. I just want the kids to have some fun summer memories before our lives temporarily change and mom is not so well. They have some activities lined up that should help: Olivier has some scout camping trips, and Isabelle has VBS. I'd like to get her to some swimming lessons too, but it depends on the timing. I don't want their summer to totally stink.

Today we went to the San Diego County Fair. In past years, I've been a bit stingy. It's a Scottish thing. I've relented to buy lunch, but generally don't do a bunch of extras. And rides? Don't think so! Today, I decided that we would do whatever we felt the urge to do. Deep fried twinkie, anyone?? Ice cream? Heck, I would have let the kids ride all the rides they wanted to. Funny-they didn't want to. Isabelle and I did get on an elephant, though! Olivier wasn't interested in the elephant ride. We passed a lady cutting silhouettes in the infield. I remember mom having ours done at Disneyland years ago when we were kids. I always thought it was neat. What the heck! I had all 3 kids sit for one. Why not?

Tomorrow, its back to cancer. I finally have my oncology consultation in the afternoon. Once again, I ask for prayer that this doctor be a good fit for us. We've been thinking a lot about the various options and hope to find out what the medical opinion is on the tumors so we can make a decision over the weekend about how treatment should start. Pray that the MRI results be in already so the oncologist can review them and factor that into his opinion. (The MRI tech said it could take 3-4 business days)

I thank you all for your tremendous support and love. I've gotten so many wonderful messages, facebook comments, and e-mails. I feel your love and support in a big way. There are times in the day when I'm just overcome with emotion and get a "poke" from the Holy Spirit. I know then that I am being lifted up in prayer, and I am so grateful. God bless you all!

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:14 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment