About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A bucket of lead

I went to the gym today with my mom after radiation (day 3).

We started on the Stair Master for 30 minutes.  I set the level to 8 on an interval training program. 8 used to be a warm up level for me. I'm getting stronger, so I thought it was a good level to start at.  During the first 10 minutes, it was really hard.  But I figured, I was "hitting the wall" as I like to say.  You just have to push past that initial feeling of fatigue and exertion and then there is no stopping you.  Well, this wall was impenetrable today. I never did get over it.  I am glad to say that I sucked it up and stuck it out at level 8, but man, it was really hard.

Then we moved onto the treadmill.  I again set it for 30 minutes at an interval program. I usually run while its on the flat interval, and then walk on the incline.  My heart rate was not quite recovered from the Stair Master, so I walked the first few intervals until it came down to the high 130's.  Then I ran whenever my heart rate was getting back down there.  But still, it kicked my butt.  I felt like my body was a bucket of lead!  I sucked it all up and at the end of the workout had burned about 530 calories, but man, did I pay for each and every one.

Now to figure the reason.  I've been sleeping very well the past couple of nights, so I'm rested.  It couldn't be fatigue from radiation already, could it??  I sure hope not.  I'm going to give my body a break tomorrow and take the day off from working out.  Besides, I have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow anyway. I'm thinking that should do the trick.  I probably haven't been giving myself enough "rest" days.

We'll see on Saturday.  Otherwise, it will be a long 6 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Our fitness levels are never a constant or straight line. We're not a math equation. How we sleep, what we've eaten, our mental state/distractions, plus a hundred other things all affect us on a day-to-day basis.
    Do what you can. Push when you can. And rest when you need to. And tomorrow may feel different!

    ReplyDelete