About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Flying

I've been having difficulty sleeping this week due to a cough during the night. I finally gave in 2 nights ago and started taking NyQuil.  (You know, the "coughing, aching, snuffling, sneezing scratchy throat so you can sleep medicine.) That helps, but I still needed to get up at 3 a.m. and take another dose.  The strange thing is that when I'm up during the day, I'm okay.

Even well enough to go to the gym today. I told myself I wasn't gonig to try and time my 5k like I usually do on Saturdays. At first I thought I'd just set the treadmill for 5k and do it at a leisurely pace of 5 mph. Once there, I realized I hadn't run intervals for awhile, so set it for the interval program. For the first time, I ran several of the incline intervals. I saw an article in Women's Health magazine about how you get a better calorie burn by mixing up your running workouts: incorporating speed intervals; hills; etc.

It was great. I had given myself mental "permission" to be kind of lazy, but once there, I just took off. I have a new mix on my iPod for running. There was one point where a TobyMac song came on that is called "Feelin' so Fly."  Mixed with the natural endorphis, it was totally amazing. Some of the words:


You got me feeling so fly 

There ain't a day that goes by 
A supernatural high 
Oh my goodness - people I can't deny 
You got me feeling so fly 



Uh oh, here we go again 
Talking about that thing that so genuine 
Uh huh, gonna make it known 
So a freak like me get his cover blown 
Can't help but glorify my Adonai 
Gotta testify 
Uh oh, here we go again 
Talking bout His love so genuine 



There ain't a day that goes by 
That I'm not singing Your praise 
There ain't a day that goes by 
That I'm not lifting your name 
A supernatural high 
Your love is simply insane 
You got me feeling so fly 



So fly when it's You and I 
And the way we hanging in the morning time 
And it's so dope I can barely cope 
When you make my joy go and overflow 
I can't help but glorify my Adonai 
It's so fly that it's blowing minds 
So fly that they can't deny 



There ain't a day that goes by 
That I'm not singing Your praise 
There ain't a day that goes by 
That I'm not completely amazed 
A supernatural high 
Your love is simply insane 
You got me feeling so fly 



I seriously felt like raising my hands up to the Lord in praise as I ran. Especially when the part of "Can't help but glorify, my Adonai" came up. It was awesome. I'm so thankful to the Lord for giving me strength to continue exercising throughout my treatment.  

In the end, I was on the treadmill for an hour and did a little over 5 mph. Not my fastest pace, but  my heart rate was in the right place and I burned nearly 500 calories. 

I'm having some discomfort in my burn zones. The scar area where they concentrated at the end is the most tender. I'm peeling, but having some stabbing pains in the scar area. I go into see my radiation oncologist this week to make sure everything is okay. I'm sure it is...its just the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment