About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

All in this together

If you've been following my blog for awhile, you may remember seeing a "bucket list" of sorts several months ago. Not things to do before I die, but things to do once I was done with cancer treatment.

Radiation ended one week ago today. I'll be on Tamoxifen for at least 2-5 years. Technically, that is considered "treatment," but popping a couple pills every day is a walk in the park. I'm in recovery mode now. My burns still are uncomfortable. The outer layer of skin is in the process of turning dark brown as it dies and then peels away. It leaves a pretty tender layer of pink underneath it. It's onwards and upwards from here.

That brings me to my next challenge. I have committed to participate in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure in San Diego this year. My mom has done the same.  My dad volunteered this morning to work all weekend (and the day before the walk) on the crew. This walk was one of those things that I said I would do when I was done.

The walk is a three day, 60 mile journey. I will be in training for several months leading up to it, just to be able to complete the walk. The physical aspect of this is daunting. But I've gone through a lot physically since June, so I know with a lot of work I can do this too.

The point of the whole thing is to raise money for breast cancer research. My mom and I have committed to raising at least $2,300 each. If we don't raise the money on our own, we will have to pay for it ourselves. That may sound like a lot of money. I've had some people kind of wrinkle their nose at the idea of participating because of the seemingly steep fundraising requirement. There are other events that raise awareness with no fundraising goals. So why participate and support the 3-Day?

When it comes down to it, money is needed to fuel research. Awareness is fine, and everyone should learn to do self exams and get screened. But in the end, no cure will be found without the research. Scientists need to be paid. Laboratories need to be stocked. In short, money is needed.

I'm asking you for your support. If any part of my journey has touched you, or made you think, please consider supporting the continuation of my journey with a donation. If you really want to jump into it, you can join my team, "Pink & Plaid Warriors" and walk with us in November. The more the merrier!  Of course, you would also need to commit to raising at least $2,300 to participate. It is going to be an emotional and highly impacting event. I would encourage everyone to check out some of the videos on the 3-Day website.  If all those people on the videos can do this (both physically and fundraising-wise), I can do this. But I need your help.

Right now there are 76 people listed as "followers" of this blog. I know of many more who read it without being listed as a follower. If each follower donated just $15, I would be halfway to my goal.  Small donations add up. Bigger donations take up some of the slack for those who can't donate. How about sponsoring me for a dollar a mile? 

I understand, times are tough. But breast cancer is tough too. Without a cure, one person will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States. My heart breaks every time I hear of a newly diagnosed person. And I'm hearing it all too often. That's why I'm walking so far. To do something bold about breast cancer. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me - by supporting me in my fundraising efforts.  Many companies match donations that doubles your effectiveness. I'd be happy to check to see if your company (or your spouses) is already on the list of companies that match. You can email me directly to find out. 


I know its a lot to ask. But we are all in this together, and if everyone pitches in, we can make a difference. I would like to have the money raised by my "cancerversary" of June 11, 2011. Then I can focus on training. Please consider helping me out in this by clicking on the picture below.


Blessings to you all!



Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen San Diego 3-Day for the Cure!


No comments:

Post a Comment