About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

On your mark....

The day has nearly arrived! After signing up over 10 months ago, walking over 480 miles in training over 148 hours, it is the eve of my first 3 Day Walk. It is surreal, actually. After all the preparation to have the event finally here is like a "pinch me" moment.

We have had such amazing support from our friends and community.Yesterday, as I dropped Jean-Marc off at preschool, I was met with this sign that they kids and teachers made. I couldn't help but cry a bit at that. How sweet! When I went into the room, the teachers included me in their morning prayers and we prayed together. It was really nice. I hung the poster up in my garage as a reminder of how amazing people can be.

After that, mom and I went on our last training walk of the season. A little 5 miler just to keep the blood flowing. 

Toasting the end of training!

Am I ready? Physically, I'll admit that in some ways I don't feel like it. Maybe it's because we have tapered off on our mileage.  I know I can do it, though. It's funny how mental this can be. If I think about my left foot hurting, it starts to hurt!

I am really excited for the experience, though. The camaraderie that I've been a part of so far with this community has been amazing.  Last night, I woke up at 3 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep, I was so excited! It was like being a kid on Christmas Eve!

One question mark is the weather. Well, at least for some. I am convinced that it is NOT going to rain. Weather reports at the beginning of the week predicted rain all weekend. Then it started to change to say just Sunday. According to weather.com, there is a 20% chance on Sunday. That means an 80% chance of NO RAIN! If it does, we'll be ready. Mom and I did 10 miles in some pretty heavy rain a few weeks ago. We've got ponchos, extra socks, and plastic bags for our feet if it does. But we won't need them!

Besides mom and me, a friend of mine, Carylee Stone, is walking on our Pink & Plaid Warrior team. Besides being a great realtor, she's a graphic artist. She designed the coolest team shirts! I can't wait to wear mine and take some pictures to post on the blog. They are so pretty!  P&P is going to rock!

Carylee is going to be picking us up at 5 a.m. tomorrow morning. We have to be at the Del Mar Fairgrounds between 5 a.m. - 6 a.m. for opening ceremonies. I think we actually start walking around 7 a.m.

I'm nearly packed-I have a few more things to stow away. Everything needs to be wrapped in plastic in case the bag gets wet, and it can't weigh over 35 pounds! That's the challenge.

Please pray for us! Pray that our bodies hold up, that God would strengthen us for this journey. That we would be lifted up on wings like eagles, that we would walk and not grow weary!  Pray that my lymphedema stays under control. That GOD be glorified in our doing this.  Pray for Eric and the kids as they are alone without me this weekend.

If you are interested, you can follow along on our journey online on the Living Route.

Thank you for your prayers, your moral support, and your financial support. By the way, if you would like to support the Pink & Plaid Warriors with a tax-deductible donation, you can by clicking here.


  1. You will love every step of the 3day. It's worth every step, ever pain, every tear.
    You will laugh, dance, weep, and walk with amazing women (like you!) and men.
    You'll likely "rock" to tunes from a gal named Karen and be cheered daily by "smiley pants guy and his daughter".
    I will be praying and following.
    I wish I could have walked with you and your team, but I'll be praying:).

  2. Good luck, Tonya!!! Have a great time. You've trained; you're ready for this. Now all you have to do is start walking, and then keep walking. The weather doesn't matter. It means nothing. It will be whatever it is & you'll be ready for it. Just keep walking.
    By now, you're into your 2nd hour. I expect you're settling into your pace. Just enjoy! Look forward to seeing pics afterward.