About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Making Strides

Last year, I participated in the American Cancer Society's event, "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer."  With everyone's support, I managed to become a "pacesetter" and raise $2,000 for this organization. I'm hoping this can happen again.

39 other survivors and ME on the field
During some of the scariest times of my cancer journey, the American Cancer Society (ACS) was there. They matched me up with a mentor/survivor who called me before my surgery and chemotherapy. It was so helpful to talk to someone who had been there, done that. They also provided me with numerous little support pillows that were a huge help to me after surgery. I don't know how I would have ridden in the car or slept through the night without those pillows.  If I had needed a ride to treatment, they would have provided it. I so appreciate the help this organization gave to me at a very difficult time.  They also provided me a very bright spot in the middle of chemo by allowing me to participate in the pre-game program last October 24th when the San Diego Chargers played the New England Patriots in the NFL's "A Crucial Catch."  I was 2 days out of my 4th round of chemotherapy that day.

Participating in this annual event is a way for me to give back. I know I have already solicited the world on behalf of the breast cancer cause with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. If you have already donated this year, I thank you. Don't feel obligated.  However, I know there are folks out there who would prefer to donate to organizations other than Komen for various reasons. Here is your chance. :-) 

Just click on this link and donate to your heart's content.

Thank you for your support.

1 comment: