About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards

After just hearing yesterday that Elizabeth Edwards' had taken a turn for the worse, I found out today that she died of her breast cancer.  So sad.

I hope Isabelle doesn't hear about it.  If she does, I hope they don't point out that it was breast cancer.

After all of the emotions from last Sunday about the parade, she and I had a good talk about how she was feeling.  Bottom line is that she is scared.  She is scared that I am going to die.  So hearing that someone that has died from breast cancer would not be a good thing for her.  I told her all the things I remind myself daily: that we have to trust God. That He will work out all of this for our own good.  That He loves us and will do the best for us.  Like me, she will have to learn to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

I was glad that she opened up to me.  She feels bad that so many of her friends don't understand.  But how could they?  Unless you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you have no clue.  You can try, but there are limits.  She is lucky to have a friend whose mom went through this a year and a half ago.  She gets it.  I told Isabelle that she will be able to support someone in the future who needs to talk to someone who has been there.  I can't help but believe that is one of the reasons that we are facing this trial.  So that down the road, we may be able to comfort others as Christ has comforted us.  (3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4, New King James Version)


I told my sobbing daughter that not all cancers are the same.  Not even all breast cancers are the same. I asked her if she knew about "the medicine."  I explained the concept of tamoxifen to her. How I was going to be able to take a medicine that would help prevent the cancer from coming back.  I would be able to take it for several years, and each year that the cancer stayed away, the better it was for us. That made her feel better.

For me, it was tough to hear about Mrs. Edwards losing her battle with breast cancer. It is hard for me to even really read blogs or bulletin boards of women who have stage 4. I would rather bury my head in the sand and not think about it.  It is my worst fear. But like I told my daughter, I have to trust God and all that He has in store for me. Whatever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment