About this blog

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 11, 2010. As a result of my treatment, I have lymphedema in my left arm. I draw my strength from the Lord, as well as my family's Scots-Irish heritage. Our Graham's were a tough and scrappy bunch of fighters on the Scottish/English border. They came to America and continued to fight when necessary: in the American Revolution; the Civil War; and my brother is a Captain in the U.S. Army. My ancestors settled this country against all odds. My great-grandmothers on both sides of the family were pioneer women who settled the West. Along with that heritage, and the full armor of God, I am walking the walk and fighting the good fight.

Friday, March 25, 2011

A plea to Jet Blue

I heard back from April at the American Cancer Society. She basically said that they took the travel vouchers "as is" and isn't willing to intercede with Jet Blue on my behalf. According to her, hundreds of other vouchers are given to ACS each year and no one else has this problem. Hmm. Really?  I'll admit to being disappointed in ACS for not even giving it a shot. From what I can tell, this person has a national job with the organization and is not one of the people here in San Diego. I'm trying very hard to not let this turn me off of the whole organization.

In any event, I am sending an e-mail to Jet Blue's Southwestern regional marketing director today to plead my case. I don't know what the outcome will be, but want to give Jet Blue an opportunity to come through and be awesome.  If they refuse, I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps just chalk it up to the trip not being in God's will. I have friends who suggest I go to the media to expose the situation. I don't know. I'm hoping that this person will have the heart to help us out.

Here is the text of my message to him. Please pray that it is read with favor and that it is effective:


Dear Mr. R,
 
I am writing to you in the hopes that you can help me with something.  I was the recipient of 4 travel vouchers that Jet Blue donated to the American Cancer Society. (I am a 2010 Pacesetter for their "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" walk in San Diego this past year.)  I've tried on two separate occasions to redeem them and have been told that the vouchers are "capacity controlled" and cannot be booked for travel on dates that are remotely convenient for my family and I. I am hoping that you would find a way to remove that restriction. Let me tell you why.
 
In normal circumstances, I would agree that it is my problem. In fact, when I tried to redeem 2 of the vouchers last December and was unable, I gave up on the idea of a holiday trip. After all, it was New Years, and I could understand how flights would be unavailable. I attempted this week to redeem the 4 vouchers so my three children and I could join my husband in Washington D.C. during the last week of June. I am flexible as to exact dates and am even willing to fly from any airport in Southern California. We just need to overlap a few days during that last week of June. But there was nothing until July 2nd.
 
You see, I was diagnosed with breast cancer last June at the age of 40. My youngest child wasn't even two years old at the time. In the past 9 months, my family has watched me go through my treatments which have included a double mastectomy to remove a 3.5 c.m. tumor from my left breast and 5 cancerous lymph nodes, 6 rounds of chemotherapy, 33 radiation treatments. I also developed an incurable chronic complication from my surgery called lymphedema, which results in my left arm and hand being subject to swelling because the lymph nodes were removed on that side and thus my body cannot circulate lymphatic fluid on its own.  After all we have been through, we could really use a change of scenery. Unfortunately, each time our family's schedule will permit a getaway, Jet Blue doesn't have the flights because of this "capacity control" restriction.  Two of the vouchers expire on July 14th, so there is no way will be able to use them as they are.
 
I am hoping that you will find it in your heart and power to have this restriction removed so we can take the kids to Washington D.C. for the last week of June. You would have in me (and my family) lifelong and loyal customers of Jet Blue. I have many friends who would also think highly of your company if you could make this happen. You would be helping us fulfill one of my "bucket wish list" items as well.
 
Thank you for your time and consideration,
 
Tonya Jamois

1 comment:

  1. great letter! and, if Jet Blue doesn't help you, let me know. Delta's president/CEO is a huge supporter of breast cancer awareness/research/fundraising and they do a lot during October because of it and I bet that if you sent this letter to them telling them what happened and that Jet Blue wouldn't help they would probably do something for you if it got into the right hands. AND, my hubby is a Delta pilot who could research a bit to find out just whose hands that letter would need to get into. Keep me posted. I'll pray that Jet Blue honors your request though - you deserve a trip and a break. xoxo

    ReplyDelete